Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Review: Fueltank self powered multi-device charger

What do you do if you need to recharge two devices simultaneously and there’s no power outlet to be found? If you’re carrying the Fueltank, you just plug in the appropriate adapters and charge anywhere–at least that’s the promise of Callpod’s Fueltank.

The Fueltank is a rechargeable lithium ion battery that contains more than 7 times the capacity of a standard mobile phone. While that by itself is pretty innovative, what’s ultimately the best feature is the Fueltank’s ability to charge two devices at once, all without being plugged into an AC outlet.

For my test I plugged the Fueltank into the outlet using the included AC adapter. When it was fully charged (there’s a button that you can press on the side of the Fueltank that will light up the appropriate amount of LEDs) I connected two of the proprietary device-specific adapters to it. In my case I connected the iPod one (for my iPhone) and the micro-USB one, for my mophie juice pack air. Technically, the two devices I tested with can be charged simultaneously using just the juice pack, but I wanted to see if they would charge faster using the Fueltank

As you can see in the pictures, both devices began charging immediately, and since the Fueltank has its own proprietary voltage regulator, I felt comfortable leaving the devices to charge overnight. When I returned the next day the Fueltank was still at almost a full charge. Also, in a separate test I found that the Fueltank charged the mophie juice pack faster than standard USB.

My favorite thing about the Fueltank is that it can charge two devices at once and using Callpod’s adapters–there are thousands to choose from–I can charge just about anything I can think of. So, for future travels, I could just pack the Fueltank and whatever adapters I think I might need, and rest assured that I could recharge my devices anywhere.

The only negative I could think of with the Fueltank is what it actually looks like. When you’re not traveling and it’s sitting on your desk, it looks pretty cool with all of its LEDs glowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arthritis In Fingers
FOOTER FOOTER FOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTERFOOTER FOOTER